(I love tomatoes, and I’m telling you, this is the best stuff ever.)
- 3 large eggs; hard-boiled, peeled, and sliced 1/8-in thick
- 3 to 5 tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-in chunks (Granny’s Note: If you want to peel them, dip them in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then in cold water to make easy to peel. I do not peel my tomatoes.)
- 12 to 14 saltine crackers, crushed
- In a 6×4-inch bowl, make a layer of tomatoes approximately 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick.
- Use half of the eggs to make a layer over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Wet a spoon and spread a thin layer of mayonnaise over all.
- Spread half of cracker crumble over top. (Granny’s Note: I crush about 4 at a time in my hand.)
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 for a second layer of each.
- Refrigerate overnight.
(Granny’s Note: If your dish is any wider, you will need more eggs. Mayonnaise should just seal the tomato-egg layer. Too much is not good. ENJOY.)