- 1 can (14.5 ounce) regular or Italian green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- If you have it:
- 1/2 small onion or 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- Another 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- (If you have it) In a small saucepan, add the vegetable oil and set burner to medium. Once hot, add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If you have a strip of bacon, cut it up into 1/4 inch pieces. Fry it in the saucepan first (until it is a medium-brown color), then add in your onions. Most bacon is already salty and produces plenty of grease, so you probably won’t need the extra salt, butter, or vegetable oil if you go this route.
- You can substitute the 1/4 teaspoon salt for 2 chicken bullion cubes, which will give a nice, rich flavor to your green beans.