- 2 lbs baby carrots
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup butter (or Margarine)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon (for candied) or 1 tablespoon (for glazed) salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- Dash ground red (cayenne) pepper
Directions for Glazed:
- In a large pot, add carrots, salt, and just enough water to cover carrots. Boil on high heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove and drain carrots.
- In pot over medium-high heat, add butter and melt. Add brown sugar and about 2 tablespoons of water. Bring to a boil and cook about 1 minute while whisking constantly.
- Add carrots, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until carrots glazed. Serve warm.
Directions for Candied:
- In a large pot or saucepan over medium-high heat, add butter and melt. Add brown sugar, salt, and about 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook about 1 minute while whisking constantly.
- Reduce to simmer or slow boil. Add carrots, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes or until carrots appear wilted. (If at any point the caramel sauce gets too thick, add about 1 tablespoon water. Repeat as necessary.)