- 3 envelopes (3 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup water, separated
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Parchment paper, cooking spray, powdered sugar
- Line 7×11-inch dish with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water in large mixing bowl.
- Stir together sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until candy thermometer 240 degrees (12 to 15 minutes). Lower heat as necessary to keep mixture from boiling over.
- Gradually add hot sugar mixture to gelatin mixture, beating at medium-low speed. Gradually increase speed to high, and beat about 7 minutes until mixture is very thick. Stir in vanilla.
- Working quickly, spread mixture into prepared dish. Spray spatula with cooking spray and smooth top.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Let stand in a cool, dry place about 24 hours.
- Cut into squares with a knife dusted with powdered sugar between each cut.
Peppermint Marshmallows: Substitute peppermint flavoring for vanilla. In step 4, add 4 drops (or more) red food coloring (or gel if you have it).