(Tim the Younger: I had to do some research on this one. Hopefully the below is correct.)
- 2 box 10X sugar sifted (2 lbs of confectioners sugar)
- 14 oz can condensed milk
- 1/2 lb oleo (slightly more than 1 cup margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 bar (1/4 of box) of paraffin wax (4 oz paraffin or cooking wax)
- 8 oz semisweet dark chocolate chips
- Cream oleo (margarine). Add milk and vanilla. Stir while adding sugar slowly.
- Add nuts and stir. Mixture will be thick.
- Drop onto wax paper. (Guessing this means by the spoonful based on later instructions.) Let stand overnight.
- Melt wax and chocolate chips in a double boiler. (If you don’t know what a double boiler is, like I didn’t, you can basically put water in a small saucepan, then place the wax and chips in a glass bowl or pan that will fit snugly into it.)
- Using a toothpick, dip each ball in melted wax mixture, then immediately into a glass of cold water. Return to wax paper to set.
(Source: Elaine Rosier, Barnwell, SC)
(Granny’s Note: When your Uncle Tim [Tim the Elder] was in college, he wanted to do presents for some of the ladies who had been nice to him. Of course, he had no money, so he made Elaine’s Christmas Candy. Very good and easy to make.)