- 1 cup butter (or margarine), room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus additional for rolling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (fluff before measuring)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Blend flour and salt, and blend into butter mixture.
- Stir in nuts. Chill.
- Roll into 1 inch balls or logs. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- Roll in powdered sugar as soon as removed from oven. Cool.
- Roll in powdered sugar again after cooling.
(Granny’s Note: Recipe says this makes 4 dozen. I make marble-sized and get about 75. The above are directions as given in my 50+ year-old Betty Crocker cookbook. This is my favorite cookie, and pretty too. My directions: I put everything in the food processor and mix. Nuts can be whole. If dough doesn’t want to hold together, I add a tiny bit of water. I then chill and proceed as above.)