- 14 to 16 Graham Crackers
- 4.6 oz Instant Vanilla Pudding, dry
- 2 cups and 1/3 cup milk (separated)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz (half of 8 oz tub) whipped topping (cool whip)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 stick (8 oz) margerine, cut into chunks
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- Cover bottom of a 9×13-inch pan with graham crackers (7 or 8).
Layer 2: (See alternatives below)
- Mix instant pudding with 2 cups milk until set.
- Add sour cream and whipped topping. Mix until smooth.
- Pour over layer 1.
- Cover pudding with another layer of graham crackers (7 or 8).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk powdered sugar until light.
- In a heavy 2 quart pot, mix 1/3 cup milk, cocoa powder, and margarine. On low heat, bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Pour cocoa mixture over powdered sugar while whisking constantly (assistance would be helpful). Whisk until smooth (Granny’s Note: But work fast. If it gets too thick, add about a teaspoon at a time of very hot water until it will pour easily and spread.)
- Pour mixture over previous layers.
Alternatives to Layer 2:
- Use a cooked vanilla pudding versus instant pudding, but use 2 cups milk rather than the recommended 3. Add a mix sour cream and whipped topping.
- Prepare a cooked cornstarch pudding:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten, in small bowl
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk in pot. On low heat, cook until thick.
- Add a small amount of hot mixture to eggs. Mix, and add to pot. Cook approximately one more minute.
- Set aside to cool. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add sour cream and whipped topping.