- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup light orange juice
- 1/2 cup Splenda Granulated Sweetener [Granny’s Note: or Sugar]
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 lbs chicken breast, boneless, skinless, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- To make the sauce, in a medium saucepan, whisk together the first nine ingredients (water through pepper flakes). Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a low simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of water and the cornstarch to create a slurry, and whisk into sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a low boil and cook for 1 minute or until the sauce thickens and clears. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer.
- Roll the chicken pieces in the egg and toss with flour to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the chicken and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until well browned on all sides and chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and cover.
- Heat the remaining oil, and cook the remaining chicken pieces. Add the chicken to the bowl, and set aside.
- Add the red pepper and onion to pan, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add the chicken to the pan and then the orange sauce. Stir to coat and serve.