(Granny’s Note: My children grew up on this. Good and rich.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons and 1/4 cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, melted
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 -3/4 cups water, heated
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons cocoa. Stir in milk and shortening. Add nuts.
- Spread in oiled or greased pan.
- Mix brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle over batter.
- Pour water evenly over batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
(Granny’s Note: Cake will rise to top and chocolate sauce settles to the bottom. Cut in squares and spoon over cake. I think we always just spooned it.)
(Source: Betty Crocker cookbook, over 50 years old)