(Granny’s Note: I have these in the fridge most of the time.)
- 2 (qty) 15 oz cans string beans
- 15 oz can wax beans
- 15 oz can pinto beans (Granny’s Note: I use 1 light & 1 dark–rinse well.) (Tim the Younger’s Note: I guess that’s when she doubles the recipe.)
- 15 oz can lima beans
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
- Drain all beans well, then place in large bowl with bell pepper and onion. (Granny’s Note: I drain overnight, but at least an hour.)
- Put vinegar and sugar in small sauce pan over medium-high heat; bring to boil, stirring until sugar is melted.
- Pour over beans, then pour oil over beans.
- Refrigerate overnight.
(Granny’s Note: Keeps for weeks. I sometimes replace some of the beans with corn and/or carrots. I use red pepper sometimes or pimento for color. White or purple onion.)