(This makes 36 servings, but I’ve found that you can freeze the extra in ziplock bags, which make for a good meal mid-week.)
- 1 gallon tomato
- 1 ham bone and some cooked ham (around 8 to 16 ounces)
- 2 quarts water, seasoned (doesn’t specify, but recommend salt, pepper, and salt)
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 or 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry onion
- 3 lbs potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 lb okra
- 3 cups peas
- Small head cabbage, chopped or thinly sliced.
(Granny doesn’t provide any directions, so I’m taking an educated guess here.)
- Place all ingredients except potatoes into large pot. If leaving potatoes whole, put them in the pot also.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to medium-low heat.
- Simmer 2 to 4 hours. Add potatoes approximate 30 to 45 minutes before you intend to stop cooking.