- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon mild or hot chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (whole wheat, if available)
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken drumsticks, skinless with bone-in
- Olive oil nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the buttermilk, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Place bread crumbs on a plate.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture, and roll them in the panko crumbs. Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Coat the chicken with the olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, turning once until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown.
(This recipe appears in the May 2012 issue of Diabetes Forecast magazine.)