- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage, ground
- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 6 cups beef broth (low sodium if desired)
- 15 oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- Cook sausage over medium heat in a soup pot until the meat is browned and crumby.
- Add rice, beef broth, beans, tomatoes, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in chopped spinach and let simmer for a few minutes.
(Adapted by Kathy Manweiler, McClatchy Newspapers, from an OliveGarden.com recipe)