(I’ve made these for quite a few people, and everyone loves them. Myself included.)
- 3 medium/large crook-neck yellow squash
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 medium onion, chopped or minced
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Self-rising flour (1-2 cups)
- Grate squash and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat deep fryer (or equivalent) to 350F.
- Using cheesecloth or some other durable material, squeeze as much water from squash as possible.
- Combine squash, egg, onion, baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Mix while adding enough flour to create a soft dough. (Mixing by hand recommended)
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, place batter into oil.
- Fry until golden to moderately dark brown.
- Fritters will float when close to done, but may need to be “assisted” in flipping over.
- Remove to plate or bowl lined with paper towels to rest for a few minutes.