- 2 lbs hot bulk sausage (Tennessee Pride)
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into roughly 1″ x 1″ pieces (unpeeled)
- 1 lb medium cheddar, cut into 1/2″ x 1/2″ cubes
- 8 to 12 oz fresh broccoli (unfrozen)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 3 jumbo (4 extra large) eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup margarine
(Many of these steps can be done at the same time, depending on your kitchen layout and equipment. The directions are presented by ingredient just to make it a little easier to follow what needs to happen.)
- In a large pot, add potatoes, margarine, 1-1/2 tablespoons salt, and just enough water to cover potatoes completely. Bring to boil; cook 17 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water (or let sit in colander until cool).
- In a large skillet, scramble and brown sausage until mostly cooked. Add onion, and cook until onion is translucent. Drain and let sit until cool.
- Process broccoli in a food processor for about 10 seconds or until finely minced. (My food processor requires me to do this in two batches.)
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and evaporated milk. Combine well with a fork or whisk. Add broccoli and mix well. Fold in remaining ingredients using a silicon spatula.
- Transfer mixture to a greased or oiled 14 x 10 casserole dish. Ensure the mixture is evenly distributed. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Remove and let set for 5 to 10 minutes.