- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 2 cups and 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb pork sausage, cooked and drained
- Cook grits in boiling water.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, milk, butter, Wooster sauce, and garlic salt; mix well.
- Slowly add eggs; mix well.
- Spoon half the grits mixture into pan (8×8-inch).
- Top with sausage. Spoon rest of grits mixture over top.
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 F, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake additional 5 minutes.
(For microwave baking, bake 30 minutes, sprinkle with cheese, and let stand for 5 minutes.)